The first lighthouses in history were built on hills and slopes to guide ships and make them look comfortable. The first lighthouse was established in 285 Milt in the ancient city of Alexandria. In the Continental Americas, the first lighthouse was launched in Boston Harbor in 1716.
Lighthouses are usually installed in beautiful places such as hills and shallows in the sea, and they adapt to the places where they are established, creating beautiful views. The reason they are usually installed in high places is to make them visible even from the furthest distance. Because of the roundness of our world, low places are the first places to slowly disappear, so the advantage of high places is great. For example, a 12-metre-tall lighthouse can be seen from a distance of about 10 nautical miles. Lighthouses can be in many different shapes, sizes, colors, even. In foggy weather, lanterns give voice warnings and reveal their location. Although technological advances such as GPS are advancing to navigate, lighthouses will always exist and represent the cultural heritage of the country in which they are located.
There are 407 lighthouses in our country. (Data for 2005). 53 of these lanterns are located in Istanbul. The Heavygate Lighthouse in Istanbul, for example, is 36 m above sea level and has been standing since 1857. Only the winding system of the lantern has changed and the lantern is now powered by electricity. Turkey's largest lighthouse is the lighthouse located in Şile, providing coastal safety. Built in 1859 by the French lighthouse administration, this lantern is 60 meters high and the visibility of its light is 20 sea miles on a day when visibility is clear. Şile Lighthouse was connected to electricity in 1968.
Unfortunately, in our country, where we have more than 8000 km of coastline, there is no lighthouse that we produce entirely with our own technology. During the Ottoman period, lighthouses built by the French were visible all over our country. In 1997, with the decision of the council of ministers, all cruise aids were gathered under the "General Directorate of Coastal Safety and Ship Rescue". In this way, a separate headquarters was established.